Monday, April 12, 2010

The End Game

I was always warned that the most difficult part of building was the end game because this the time that the plastering, the painting and the fit off occurs and it is this time where the quality of the finish matters.

Well the fit off is well underway and I have already noticed some “issues” which I have escalated to the Construction Manager via head office. I have decided to document my issues so that they can’t complain I have not given them fair warning I expect these issues dealt with prior to handover.

The plumber has finished, apart from the gas cooktop and hot water service and to date I cant fault his workmanship.

The tiler has done a wonderful job and the painter apart from not being able to read a colour selection chart has done on the whole a good job. The AirCon guy apart from stuffing up one outlet has also done a good job. I have a bulge in the plaster wall in the garage & I would expect that it will be fixed, surely a bulging wall is not “commercially acceptable”

I have discovered this term “commercially acceptable” and the cynic in me says it’s a dodgy clause used by builders to get away with shoddy work. Now I should give my builder the benefit of the doubt as this issue was only discovered by me on Saturday so they still have time to fix it and they have not come to me and said they wouldn’t so time will tell.

One trade I am not happy with is the sparkie. The exterior power point for the water tank pump is shoddy and the way they have connected the phone line to the Telstra box is just plain unacceptable. In my email to the builder I stated that I believed it was the work of an unsupervised 1st year apprentice, surely a fully qualified tradesman wouldn’t be proud of that kind of work.

As I said I will give the benefit of the doubt to my builder that these issues and more will be addressed, including the missing power point in the extra kitchen cupboard, the silly idiot electrician wired for it, just didn’t fit it off!!

Our Strand Woven Bamboo Borads, cant wait to see them actually laid.

The ensuite toilet, I am actually impressed with our "standard" toilet

Ensuite sink & taps, again we are happy with the standard

The main toilet, obviously its just the same as the other one

Bathroom sink & taps, again they match the ensuite, funny that!!

The external power point. It should have 2 conduit clips and the hole should be filled with silicone to stop moisture entering the walls.

This piece of workmanship is simply not good enough and is rough & lazy. One they should have used conduit to ensure the Telstra box was over the hole or at least used conduit from the hole and again there is no silicone, tsk tsk. This will be fixed.

Our door handles, another standard item
It would appear people are using our site as a rubbish dump, garden waste appeared last week and now a whole heap of MaxFactor makeup boxes have been dumped. If I was the builder I would be pissed off. I wonder which neighbour is the culprit?



I plan to play fussy bugger and be very stubborn to ensure a tip top finish, besides they stung me hard over the crossover, so if I have to stick to the contract, so do they. I just hope our relationship, which has been good too date doesn’t degenerate into a slanging match, I still want my keys on April 30

1 comment:

  1. The fact that they have tissues in your main toliet does that mean they are using it now??? Gross!! The out house is for the builders! Lol
    Looking great anyway : )

    ReplyDelete