Monday, December 28, 2009

Lock Up, well sort of!!

Its amazing what can be achieved when a concentrated effort is made on your house. Over the last couple of weeks we have seen the roof completed, the wiring installed, the water & gas pipes installed, the Heater/AirCon units installed as well as the required copper pipes and wiring for the condenser. Two thirds of the ceiling has been plastered and our bath & shower bases installed.

As you can imagine we are at lockup, and as such our builder has sent us an invoice and I plan to pay it. The only thing is the brick work is not quite finished. It would appear our broken window is not fixed and the broken one is back in place. Maybe they realised the replacement that was there last Tuesday wasn’t double glazed as per our 5 star energy rating required!!!

Overall I am very happy and I only hope the progress continues at close to the same pace as the last two weeks when they return from holidays.

Below are pictures of our place and some of my handy work, in the cables I ran and wall plates I installed, top notch quality work that!!!!!



Our tiny Elfresco, which will be a nice place to store the kids toys and shoes come winter

A view from the runpus and through our two eldest kids bedrooms


Our Lounge Room

Mr & Mrs B's Bedroom (with the spare front window frame)

The Kitchen

Where the AirCon Condensor will be installed

The AirCon Pipes, nicely hidden behind the bricks which cost me a small fortune!!


Hot Water Service, well the pipes anyway


Our switchboard with an old fashioned 2-wire meter. No doubt I will be charged for the privilage of having a smart meter installed later on down the track. I dont mind waiting because those smart meters are not that kind as they allow the power company to shut you down if they think your using too much power on those very hot days. Nice of them to protect thier equipement by shutting down my AirCon!!!!


Our Gas Ducted Heater


The Add-On Refrigerated Air-Con Unit


Can you spot those insulated copper pipes for the AirCon?


The wall plates I installed are on the left, you could tell, they look better than the ones the sparkie installed!!!
Its hard to see but my speaker cables, data cable and the string line is what I installed. I left a nice clean run for the Foxtel man, lets hope he appreciates it

The other end of the data cable

I didnt take photos of my speaker cables when I ran them in, but the plasterers thought they would leave one for me to photograph later on!
Also over the weekend we popped into our family friend’s house down the end of the street, the one’s who have the same house as ours, just a little bigger and it was built by the same builder. If our finish is up to their standard I will be very happy with the finished product.

They say there is no action until the 18th of Jan but I have heard the plasterers wish to complete our house by then so maybe in a couple of weeks we will have our place completely plastered!!

We also used the last couple of days to start purchasing those items that we need to fill the house and have a couple of months lead time to get, such as our bed. We went to the local bed shop and managed to pick a very sturdy hardwood bed and mattress that was divine, unfortunately we have to wait until the house is finished to enjoy it.
We also picked up a new bed for our eldest as he will have to give his convertible bed to our youngest who will have to give up his cot to our soon to be born third child (did you follow that!!!)

I have now decided on the makeup of our home entertainment components and so the final piece of the puzzle is the entertainment cabinet. Some Google searching has identified some candidates and over the next couple of weekends I hope to nail that purchase down also.

Until then I trust everyone had a great Christmas and I wish you a fantastic New Year.

3 comments:

  1. great idea to purchase stuff now, our sofas took 4 months, and one cabinet took 5 months... can't hurt to get in early! merry xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great - now we're thinking of adding on ac to our heating, but I hear it's not always that easy. Where did you get those wall plates from? I want to run in some AV and speaker cabling and the wall plates I haven't seen around much!

    T&T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie, the project manager in me dictates that all items have a lead time and as such the timing of their purchase must be done with military precision, well almost anyway!! We only need the entertainment unit now and I believe they only need a couple of weeks but I will find out in the next couple of weeks to confirm it.

    Hi T&T. I got the wall plates at Middies (Middendorps)& the speaker & data cable from Ugly Cable.
    As for the add-on AirCon it took a long while and a couple rounds of negotiations before getting acceting the quote from my builder. You need to make sure the duct sizes are increased to suit AC and that your ducted heater is upgradede as you need a bigger fan. Ideally it goes in before lockup but at least before plastering that way it is all hidden. Depending on the size of your house and unit you wont get much change out of $12k for the AC/Heater combo.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete